Monday, April 28, 2014

New gym

This past March I decided to change gyms, one that had more locations and variety of classes, and a lower membership price. I get bored easily with routine and need a way to stay motivated and challenged. At my old gym I worked with a trainer twice a week for about 6 months, which I found really beneficial, but not wallet friendly. 

As someone with anxiety, it's not easy for me to walk into someplace new and feel comfortable, but I'm trying to challenge this by going to different locations and taking different classes. Finding the gym, locating the change room and the class studio, adjusting to a new instructor or routine, figuring out where the showers are… can all be very stressful for me. There's also the challenge of getting organized at night to ensure I have everything I need for the day, including a healthy lunch and snacks, and getting up when the alarm goes off at 5:30am. I find that going in the morning is easier than after work – the TTC is far less crowded and I'm more likely to go, as sometimes things come up after work. I also find that my energy level is more consistent throughout the day and I sleep much better at night.

In the past 7 weeks, I have managed to visit 6 different locations and take a variety of classes (I love Zumba!). I'm really proud of myself for not letting the anxiety prevent me from doing the things I want to do. Going to the gym 3 times a week has become part of my routine and I'm really happy with how fit and healthy I feel.

No comments: